A Simple Step-By-Step Guide Designed To Help You Find The best Roofing Contractor who’s Right For You
Minor leaks with the season’s first rain. Major damage caused by an unseasonable storm. Whatever your roofing needs, large or small, you need a professional roofing contractor you can trust. You need a roofing contractor who will provide you with sound advice on roofing products, reasonable and understandable explanations of procedures, and, most importantly, solid results.
It’s difficult to determine the capabilities and reliability of a roofing contractor. That’s why this page was created – we have provided a simple step-by-step guide designed to help you find the best roofing contractor who’s right for you.
STEP 1: WHERE TO BEGIN
A roofing system is a complex combination of elements, the success of which depends on the quality of shingles, installation and overall construction. There are many ways to start your search for the roofing contractor who meets your individual needs. Referrals are obviously the best source for names of credible companies.
Ask friends and family members who they have used in the past. Contact your local Chamber of Commerce about roofing contractors who are active in the community. The Better Business Bureau, state and local licensing authorities, local trade associations and your local yellow page directory are also excellent sources of information.
Your insurance agent or adjuster is an excellent source. The very best source is their local references.
Many homeowners have been mystified by the seeming lack of interest and response from the contractors they call. It is possible you will have to wait a short period to hear from the most “reputable” roofing contractor due to the high demand of their work.
A roofing contractor is shopping for good jobs that will make a firm profit and bring future referrals. Many contractors have had experiences with unreasonable or dishonest homeowners. Therefore, they look for warning signs of customer problems during the initial job interview.
Set up a meeting to discuss your needs and their qualifications, and be sure to pay close attention to the attitude of the company representative. Good contractors take pride in their roofing work and will be enthusiastic about the possibility of helping you with your roofing needs. If you feel confident that the contractor is truly interested in your project, ask for the company’s vital statistics – specific business information which will help you make your final decision.
• Business Name and Address – A good, professional roofing contractor will provide the company’s permanent business address and telephone number. These are essential when checking on the company’s previous business dealings.
• Experience – The training and experience of a contractor, as well as the age of his or her company, will help you determine their ability to successfully complete your roofing project.
• Insurance Coverage – A contractor should carry general liability insurance. Request the name of the insurance carrier and ask to receive a copy of their general liability insurance certificate. Beware of low bids which are a result of incomplete insurance coverage.
• Professional References – Your contractor’s past can help determine your future. Ask for credit references, banking information and a list of completed projects including the names and telephone numbers of previous clients.
• Company Philosophy – Discuss application techniques and workmanship guarantees. Does the contractor stand behind his work?
STEP 3: UTILIZING THE CONTRACTOR’S PRODUCT KNOWLEDGE
Your contractor should have up-to-date knowledge on quality roofing products for your project. He or she is the best source of information, but you should play an active role in the product selection process.
Ask questions about different shingles such as brand names, life span, thickness, design, available colors and warranties. Selecting the best products is as important to your job as selecting the right contractor.
STEP 4: CONSIDER ROOFING ENHANCEMENTS
An airtight chimney cap is an upgrade you should consider if your chimney does not already have one, as these are a great way to help you save energy through your new roof installation. Some additional roofing elements to consider include improving your roof’s ventilation and upgrading your gutters.
STEP 5: UNDERSTANDING & NEGOTIATING THE CONTRACT
Prior to drafting a contract, most roofing contractors will provide you with either an estimate or a proposal.
When a contract is presented, it should spell out the proposed work, payment terms and completion time. Read the contract carefully. Misunderstandings are the most common cause of contract disputes.
• Building Permits – What’s necessary? Consider local ordinances, costs, posting requirements.
• Start & Completion Dates – Including a plan of action in case of weather delays.
• Products/Materials – What will be used, brands, colors, etc.
• Project Inspections – Number of inspections, completion timetable, etc.
• Site Procedures – Work hours, clean-up procedures on the roof and around your home, safety precautions, etc.
• Warranties – Including both workmanship and product.
• Terms – Detailed as method of payment to include a lien waiver upon final payment.
• Liens – You should be aware that under the laws of most states, a contractor who does work on your home, or a supplier of materials for such work, has a right to place a lien on your property. Make sure all essential elements of your agreement are written down and understood by both parties.
• Right-To-Rescind – Providing the right to cancel the contract without penalty within a set period of time (usually three days).
STEP 6: SIT BACK & RELAX
A little well-planned research up front will undoubtedly save you a lot of time and trouble later on. Once you feel confident that you have the best roofing contractor, the best roofing products, and the best value – simply relax and let your contractor do his job.
Do, however, monitor the progress of your roofing project to be certain your contractor lives up to their superior reputation.
Blog Source: Andrus Brothers Roofing | HOW TO FIND THE RIGHT ROOFING CONTRACTOR FOR YOU