Ask Your Commercial Roofer These Questions During An Inspection
The roof of your commercial building is a valuable asset to your business, so it’s important to ensure that the company you hire to perform a commercial roof inspection is both knowledgeable and reputable. Knowing the right questions to ask is a vital part of determining whether your commercial roofer is an expert you can count on to do a thorough inspection.
Routine roof inspections are essential so that issues are detected and addressed early before they become bigger, more expensive problems. The roof on your commercial property is your first line of defense against both daily exposure and severe weather, but understanding the inspection process can be overwhelming. That’s why we recommend having a set of questions in hand when meeting with your inspector. We’ve put together a list of questions to ask your commercial roofer during an inspection.
Before The Inspection:
- What will you be looking for during the inspection? Your roofer should be checking all parts of your roof for damage or deterioration.
- What happens if you see visible damage or notice something alarming? It’s important to work with a roofing expert who can advise you on what types of issues should be addressed immediately, which issues need to be monitored, and offer solutions.
- Are you insured? The roofing company you hire to help protect your commercial property should be insured, licensed, and well established. In addition, look for a commercial roofer who is affiliated with your state’s roofing professionals association and local builders association.
- Do you hire subcontractors to perform the work? If the answer is yes, ensure that the subcontractors are also insured.
- How long have you been in business? You’ll want to hire a well-established commercial roofer with a solid reputation and background.
- Will someone has to be there for the inspection? It may not always be convenient for someone to be present when the inspection is performed, so ask in advance whether that’s a requirement of the roofing inspector you hire.
During The Inspection:
- How can I be more proactive in ensuring that damage or deterioration is caught early?
- What should I be doing between inspections and maintenance to minimize the cost of repairs and/or damage to other parts of my commercial property?
- What are some ways I can avoid issues in the future?
- Should I adjust my roof maintenance schedule?
After The Inspection Has Been Completed:
- How long will it take to schedule the repairs? If the inspector detects serious issues, it’s critical to have repairs performed as soon as possible. Your commercial roofer should be able to give you an estimate of when they can schedule someone to do the repairs.
- How much will the repairs cost? Your inspector should provide you with a reasonably accurate estimate for the cost of repairs.
- How long will the repairs take, start to finish? Having a definite start date and an estimate of how long the repairs will take helps minimize the disruption to your business operations.
Asking questions like these, and receiving answers from a knowledgeable roofing professional, helps build trust between you and your commercial roofer. In addition, your involvement with the process helps you better understand the nature of any roofing issues, as well as repair options, so you can better protect your investment.
Blog Source: McEnany Roofing | Questions to Ask Your Commercial Roofer During An Inspection