OVERALL MENTAL HEALTH: NATURAL WAYS TO HELP IMPROVE
You know that your overall mental health is important to your well-being. You understand that without it, you won’t be able to function well as an individual. If this has been your dilemma, you don’t have to worry because there are natural ways to help improve your overall mental health.
Yes, you’ve read that right and here are some ways which you can do it:
- Set goals but don’t take failure personally: It’s always ideal to set up goals for yourself or for your career. You might want to become the manager of the company you’re working for and it’s perfectly normal for you to have that as your goal. But if you fail to reach any of these goals, you shouldn’t hold it against yourself. Sure, it’s okay to be frustrated and sad in this situation but you should try to forgive yourself and move on. Try not to dwell on the things you couldn’t do as this can lead to depression and anxiety. Learn to let go of failures and try again.
- Travel and go outside: Travelling isn’t just about posting photos on your social media accounts; traveling can actually benefit your mind and body. When you get to see and experience new places, your mind will be recharged. This will also serve as an excellent avenue to de-stress yourself from the stress at work or home. So instead of having appointments and meetings with your clients almost every day, schedule an out-of-town trip alone or with friends. You’ll be able to perform better once you take breaks.
- Meditate, meditate, meditate: This is probably one of the easiest ways you can improve your mental health. Meditation might look like you’re doing nothing in one corner but this is very good for the brain. When you meditate, your concentration can improve and your stress can be reduced. You can do this by sitting comfortably, closing your eyes and just focus on your breathing – everybody has time for that, right? You can meditate as the first thing you do when you wake up or when you arrive home from work.
- Exercise consistently: No, this doesn’t always require expensive gym memberships. There are many ways that you can exercise and most of these are free. You can exercise by jogging around your neighborhood and by walking your pets. When you exercise, your body releases “feel good hormones” called endorphins. This is one of the main reasons why you feel happier after exercise. And exercise can be a great way of releasing stress as well. Instead of drinking alcohol or eating sugary treats to relieve stress, spend an hour or more walking or jogging.
- Use social media wisely: Almost everyone has their own Facebook, Instagram or Twitter accounts – and for sure, you’re one of these people. These social media platforms can be used for you to be informed on what happens around you but on the other side of the coin, this can also affect your mental health negatively. You might follow accounts or have friends who appear to be living a more luxurious lifestyle and once you browse through their profiles, you’ll end up comparing yourself to them. Try to remember that this isn’t always an accurate portrayal of their lives, and comparing your life to theirs isn’t good for your mental health.
If none of these tips work for you, you can always work with professionals like a Naturopath or Psychologists (such as those from Psychologist Southern Sydney), to help you improve your mental health. They’ve been working with different clients for years and for sure, they’d know how to take care of you and your case.
Similar to your physical health, you should take the time to take care of your mental health as well. Once your mental health is optimal, you’ll be able to come up with better decisions which can greatly affect your life. In the same manner, if your mental health is taken for granted, your entire well-being will be adversely affected too. Use this article as your guide to improve your mental health naturally. Some of these tips might seem new to you but once you’ll implement them in your life gradually, all of these will seem natural in time!
Blog Source: Alison Mitchell | NATURAL WAYS TO HELP IMPROVE YOUR OVERALL MENTAL HEALTH